Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Life, interviews, and a mad dash for papers

These past few weeks have been exceedingly hectic. I've had Prom, work, a mad scramble for papers, and my AFS in-home interview.

I'll start with my visa paperwork. I was called in the middle of my theatre company show (I was about to go back on stage in about 5 minutes) when I got a call from a strange number. I knew it was YES related because it was a New York based number. I answered it, thinking it might just be a quick reminder to do something. As it turned out, I wasn't sent an email containing *essential* paperwork that was due THAT DAY. Needless to say, I freaked out a bit. Luckily, (with a bit of finagling in the counselors department) I was able to get everything together and mailed by the next day.

My in-home interview was last Saturday. I'll admit to being a bit nervous, as interviews really aren't my forte. I usually end up blabbering with no clue as to where I am leading the conversation. Anyway. The interviewers asked about my activities and life in general, nothing too complicated. Towards the end....they asked to see my room. As a preface, my room doesn't always look like a tornado or ten ran through it, but we had just cleaned out a closet by my room, and half of the contents of it were dumped into my room. Awkward.  It has since been cleaned up a bit, but I wish I would have had time to make it nice and spotless before they came in.  Oops.

This Friday is my last day of school!  I am ridiculously happy.  Although, I will probably tear up a bit as I leave the theatre for the last time.  It has been my home for the past 3 years.  The seniors are gone.  Graduation is tomorrow.  The juniors have taken over the school.  At the assembly where we changed spots in the gym (freshman to sophomore, sophomore to junior, and junior to senior), all the juniors thundered over to the senior side, and struck an immediate chant of "THIS IS OUR HOUSE!" with cheers and stomps and claps.  I joined in, a nostalgic, tear-smudged smile on my face.  This would be one of the few senior-in-high-school moments I would ever get.  Everyone else will come back, paint the senior wall, perform in the musicals and plays, make costumes (theatre nerd here), walk at graduation.  I, on the other hand, will travel thousands of miles away to a foreign land with little language experience (Türkçe bilmiyorum....), and few people I know.  I will learn about a culture, a religion, and a country that is fairly unknown in the US.  Of course everyone has heard of the Ottoman Empire and the ancient history that resides in my soon to be home, but little is known about its people or the food or daily customs.  So while everyone here in Colorado is absorbing the taken-for-granted American high school experience, I will be soaking up every ounce of Turkish culture that I can.  And you know what?  I wouldn't have it any other way.

-Olivia

It's an interesting video...but the song is rather catchy!

No comments:

Post a Comment